REPLY: "What about doctor self care?!" my patient laughed hysterically at me. I threw my head back and laughed along with her.
ORIGINAL STATEMENT: "In two days, I will have my first day off in four weeks."
Self Care is an elusive, ever-changing and never-ending goal for me. Clearly, I am not always an 'A' student in Self Care Class. But I do try, and I think I'm getting better at it.
Here are a few small examples of ways I have tried to implement good Self Care this week:
1. When given the choice between skipping lunch or drinking a giant chocolate milk from the gas station, I chose the giant chocolate milk.
2. When choosing between completing three more notes or sitting on the floor and talking with the office staff, I chose the sitting and talking.
3. When craving something that seemed like a good idea, but has proven over and over to lead to pain and guilt...I chose to avoid that activity.
4. Adding "write" and "coffee shop time" to my to do list (on par with "bills and "notes").
5. When I noticed I haven't had a day off in a month, I planned a "should-less" weekend for the first days off.
6. I reminded myself that Caring for Self is beautiful, feels good, and necessary for a rich life.
When my life is busy, it remains enjoyable if I keep perspective and care for myself.
Wish me luck for this weekend.